Adverse Event and Product Complaint Reporting

Medical Information

If you are a member of the public requiring advice or information on your own medical condition or treatment please contact your own doctor or NHS Choices in the first instance. Our medical information service is intended to provide information on our products to Healthcare Professionals.
If your query is regarding a Takeda product, please email

When sending us an email, please provide us with:

    • Your name and title
    • Your role (e.g. doctor, nurse, pharmacist etc.)
    • Your work address
    • Your telephone number


(These details will only be used to help answer your question, and will never be used for promotional purposes).

Please read our Website Privacy Policy before sending us any personal data via email.

Adverse Events and Product Complaint Reporting

Adverse Events in the UK should be reported through the Yellow Card Scheme. Reporting forms and information can be found at Patients can report through the Yellow Card Scheme as well so don’t need to consult a doctor first if reporting an Adverse Event.

Adverse Events, Product Complaints and Special Reporting Situations related to Takeda products should also be reported to Takeda UK Ltd via email